General Studies, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
The General Studies degree program is designed for adult learners and students intending to complete a baccalaureate degree whose educational objectives are not aligned with a more traditional degree program.
In addition to the baccalaureate degree requirements in Section 5 of this Catalog, the following are required for students seeking a General Studies degree:
- The B.A. General Studies degree is intended to be a first baccalaureate degree and is not appropriate for a concurrent or secondary baccalaureate degree.
- Any courses ordinarily accepted for credit by Eastern Kentucky University may be chosen as hours to apply to the 120 hours required for graduation.
- In order to declare a General Studies major students must have previously earned 60 credits from a regionally accredited institution or two years or more must have lapsed since students earned any college credit.
- Students pursuing a General Studies degree are not permitted to declare a double major.
- Students pursuing a General Studies degree are encouraged to declare minors and/or certificates.
- Students in the General Studies program will graduate from and be considered alumni of a specific college based on either
- the student’s preference (If a student has at least 18 credits in a college, excluding General Education credits, then he/she may request to be affiliated with that college); or
- if the student has no preference, then affiliation is based on the college in which the greatest number of credits are earned (excluding General Education credits).
- The college from which the student graduates will not be included in the degree name. Degree name on diploma will be Bachelor of Arts General Studies.
CIP Code: 24.0102
Summary Checklist for General Education
|A: Written Communication||3|
|B: Written Communication||3|
|C: Oral Communication||3|
|A: Historical Science||3|
|B: Social Behavioral Science||3|
|Diversity of Perspectives Experiences||6|
Students are expected to complete Elements 1 and 2 within their first 60 hours of college credit.
The General Studies program is intended to establish foundational skills in critical thinking and communication. The program is also intended to allow a student who has completed most of the requirements of a major but has not yet completed the major of an approved program to complete a baccalaureate degree in a timely manner.
|University Graduation Requirements|
|Student Success Seminar|
|GSD 101||Foundations of Learning 1||3|
|Upper division courses (42 hrs. distributed throughout Major/Supporting/Gen Ed/Free Electives categories) At least 6 hrs. must be 400-level or higher.|
|Choose from one of the following:||3|
|Professional Skill Development|
Service Learning (S) course
EKU-approved Study Abroad course
|Choose from 78 hours of free electives||78|
Waived for students who enter EKU with 30+ hrs. of courses ordinarily accepted for transfer credit by Eastern Kentucky University. Student Success Seminars will not be waived for AP and Dual Credit hours.
Note: General Studies students are encouraged to earn minors and/or certificates. Advisors will assist students with identifying minors and certificates.