Academic Catalog

State Authorization

EKU Campus

State Authorization

State authorization refers to Eastern Kentucky University's ability to enroll students into distance education out-of-state. Eastern Kentucky University is a State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) member. Under the terms of SARA, EKU is authorized to offer most distance education programs in the 48 other SARA member states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  California is currently not a member of SARA but EKU is permitted to offer most distance education programs to students residing in California. States and institutions who join SARA agree to operate under SARA standards when interacting with other member institutions and states. SARA's policies help protect students and provide benefits to both the states and institutions carrying out distance education in multiple states. Detailed information about SARA policy and procedures can be found on The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) website.

Professional Licensure Programs

SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) has no bearing on state licensure boards. Licensure requirements are regulated by each state’s respective board(s) and must be met in order to obtain a license. Eastern Kentucky University (EKU) reserves the right to offer program(s) that lead to licensure in the states where EKU has made every reasonable effort to determine its program(s) comply with each state’s regulations for educational requirements for licensure in that state. Regulations often include but are not limited to, specific degree levels and types; program accreditation; field placements; supervision, or residency requirements. Regulations are ever-evolving and can change without any notification to higher education institutions. Students are encouraged to contact their applicable state licensing board(s) to determine whether the program continues to meet educational requirements for licensure in that state both before enrolling and during the learning experience. 

Eastern Kentucky University provides general and direct disclosures related to the licensure programs we offer. General disclosures can be found on the EKU State Authorization and Professional Licensure webpage and can help students determine if the desired EKU program is best for them. The information provided on the State Authorization and Professional Licensure webpage is the most accurate information available to EKU at the time but could become outdated due to changes in state requirements for licensure that can change without notice.

Student Location and Out-of-State Educational Activities

Authorization to enroll students in a program does not mean that all EKU programs can be offered in their entirety in every SARA member state. Some states have additional consumer protection laws or regulations that must be followed.  As states with potential limitations become known, they will appear on the EKU State Authorization and Professional Licensure webpage

As part of EKU's concerted effort to adhere to known policies, regulations, or laws in other states the following expectations are in place. Students must: (1) report their current residential address on their application for admission, (2) notify EKU regarding any changes in where they will be located while enrolled at EKU, and (3) notify EKU of the physical location of supervised field placement activities that will occur outside of Kentucky. Examples of supervised field placements include but are not limited to cooperative education; internships; clinical rotations; student teaching; and fieldwork. Students should consult this list and speak to their advisor prior to ANY activity outside of Kentucky. 

Out-of-State Relocation

Students who are enrolled in a program leading to licensure, or any student intending to complete a supervised field placement (e.g. cooperative education, internship, student teaching, clinical, etc.) outside of Kentucky must notify the university and/or their advisor in advance of any plans to relocate out of state. Advisors will help students determine authorization and licensure eligibility requirements if the student relocates during the course of the program. Licensure regulations vary by state and relocating could affect whether a student will meet eligibility requirements for licensure and/or remain eligible for federal financial aid. Students must check with the state/territory licensing board where they desire licensure before relocating to ensure that they will be eligible for licensure or reciprocity. NC-SARA maintains a list of state board contact information for some of the most common programs that require licensure. 

Complaints Related to Out-of-State Educational Activities

SARA defines a complaint as "a formal assertion in writing that a person, institution, state, agency, or other organization or entity operating under the provisions of the SARA Policy Manual has violated the policies set forth in the SARA Policy Manual or of laws, standards or regulations incorporated in the SARA Policy Manual". In accordance with SARA Policy 4.5, student complaints related to SARA activities must begin with the Eastern Kentucky University Student Complaint Process/Policy  A detailed description of the SARA student complaint process and related policy can be found on the NC-SARA Student Complaint webpage.

General Disclaimer Regarding Licensure

Please be advised that there may be other factors in addition to educational requirements that could prohibit your success in a program. Having a criminal record could affect your ability to successfully obtain professional licensure in many states and your ability to secure field placements, internships, externships, and/or practicums. Students may also be required by collaborating organizations to submit to a drug screen, criminal background check, sex offender registry search, OIG (Office of Inspector General) search, federal fingerprinting, and/or to submit copies of immunization records, including OSHA training certificates, HIPPA training certificates, and CPR certification. These tests are at the expense of the student. Collaborating organizations reserve the right to deny student field placements, internships, externships, and/or practicums for many reasons including but not limited to if a student has a criminal record or fails the drug screen standards as established by the collaborating organization. For more information on specific programs please reach out to the program advisor.