Student Life and First-Year Experience
Loni Yost, Director
Phone: (859) 622-3855
The Office of Student Life & First-Year Experience (SL&FYE) at Eastern Kentucky University is dedicated to making sure every student has the opportunity to get involved and receive valuable experiences outside of the classroom. SL&FYE provides numerous services and programs for EKU students including Community Service, Colonel’s Cupboard, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Leadership, Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), and Student Activities. SL&FYE also provides educational opportunities to assist students in their holistic development.
The first step to getting involved is visiting our website: www.studentlife.eku.edu.
First-Year Experience (FYE) serves to help you connect to EKU inside and outside the classroom, and empower you with experiences and resources to make your first year a powerful, engaging experience. We strive to build all FYE programming on these three pillars:
- Excite your Colonel spirit by embracing EKU traditions and embarking on your individual “Eastern Experience.”
- Exchange dialogue, ideas and perspectives with faculty, staff and peers to connect with the greater EKU community.
- Excel inside and outside the classroom by establishing positive habits that will help make you a successful Colonel at EKU and beyond.
Our cornerstone FYE program, Big E Welcome, will allow you to build friendships and connections with other first-year students, equip yourself with skills to excel in the classroom, and truly welcome you into the EKU experience! Your Colonel Crew Leader (a current EKU student) will lead you through the festivities and share the weekend with you.
Community Service and Colonel’s Cupboard
From disaster relief to blood drives, EKU students are changing the world one project at a time. Whether serving out of state on an Alternative Break trip or right here on campus, our service projects offer you the opportunity to make new friends, build your network, and grow as an individual. Our projects fit perfectly into a wide variety of majors, minors, and concentrations to provide offerings that fit everyone’s interests.
The Colonel’s Cupboard is an on-campus food pantry that assists EKU students who may be experiencing food insecurity. We also offer toiletry items and clothing items through the Clothing Bank and Closet TransForm housed within the Colonel’s Cupboard.
Fraternity & Sorority Life
EKU is home to a vibrant fraternity and sorority community comprised of nearly 30 chapters and four governing councils:
- Interfraternity Council (IFC),
- Multicultural Greek Council
- (MGC), National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), and
- Panhellenic Council (NPC).
Visit greeklife.eku.edu to learn more about the recruitment process and these values-based organizations focusing on scholarship, service, leadership, and life.
- Scholarship – Each chapter has scholastic standards members are required to meet. Additionally, chapters implement academic success plans including study hours, incentives, and much more.
- Service – Greeks regularly dedicate their time, talent, and treasure to bettering the world in which we live. This is accomplished through philanthropy and community service efforts.
- Leadership –The fraternity and sorority community give members many opportunities to lead within the chapters and in the community.
- Life – Membership is a lifelong commitment. Fraternity and sorority members value brotherhood/sisterhood and being together for support and fellowship.
SL&FYE is dedicated to providing leadership programs which cultivate your personal leadership talents to help you be successful during your time at EKU and beyond. Our leadership programs include workshops, retreats, our annual LEAD EKU conference, I AM EKU, certificates, and more!
Parent & Family Programs
The EKU Parent & Family Network serves to empower EKU parents, family, and friends with resources, timely and important information, and programs to support the success of their Colonel. The network assists in helping families stay connected and informed on the EKU community. More information can be found at www.familyprograms.eku.edu.
SL&FYE hosts dozens of events each semester aimed at educating, entertaining, and meeting the needs of EKU students. We also have many programs in which we collaborate with various departments across campus to enhance the out-of-classroom experience. Check out upcoming events at studentlife.eku.edu.
SL&FYE is home to a variety of Registered Student Organizations (RSO) that EKU students are welcome to get involved with at any time! RSOs at EKU include a group of 6 or more current EKU students who have formulated an organization for a common purpose. Student organization information can be found at www.studentlife.eku.edu/student-organizations.