School Librarian, Master of Arts in Education with a Concentration in Additional Certification (M.A.Ed.)
(Programs Available Online)
The Master of Arts in Education School Librarian program prepares professionals for work in P-12 schools as School Librarians.
- Candidates must meet the admissions requirements of the Graduate School (undergraduate GPA of 2.5 –candidates who do not have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 may be considered for probationary admission to the graduate school upon completion of the GRE. If required to take the GRE, program requirements are a minimum Verbal score of 150, a Quantitative score of 143 and an Analytical Writing score of 4.0).
- Candidates must also meet the admissions requirements of the Program: a) have completed an initial teaching certification program in IECE, elementary, middle, or secondary/P-12/5-12 education, and b) per EPSB (16 KAR 5:020) candidates must have earned an overall 2.75 on a 4.0 scale undergraduate GPA or a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the last 30 hours completed.
A background check must be completed prior to enrolling in LIB 870 P-12 School Media Lib Pract.
CIP Code: 13.1334
|Org & Admin/School Media Ctr
|Lit & Resources for Yng Adults
|Children's Lit & Rescources
|Info Literacy Resources & Ser
|P-12 School Media Lib Pract
|Research & Program Evaluation 1
|or ETL 805
|Research Metho for Educ Profes
|Students must select one of the following Concentrations:
|Additional Certification Concentration (Online)
Endorsement Concentration (Some are Online)
|MAED Lib Sci Port Exit Review (Portfolio Review)
|Literacy Programs P-5
|or EMG 806
|Read Instruction Middle School
|Curriculum for Teacher Leaders
|Organization and Access
|Info Sys Dsgn/Dev for Schl Lib
The following are the exit requirements for School Librarian:
- Program GPA: Candidates must earn an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, with no grade lower than a C.
- Key Assessments: Candidates will have opportunities to demonstrate professional growth through key assessments covering major program components. Successful completion of all key assessments and evaluation in the College’s digital portfolio database is required.
- Research Requirement: EPY 869 or ETL 805 /ETL 906 are the research methods courses for this program. MAEd. School Librarian candidates with a Teacher-Leader secondary concentration take ETL 805 and ETL 806, culminating in an action research project which culminates in a technology enhanced presentation. All other MAEd. School Librarian candidates fulfill research requirements through EPY 869.
- The professional portfolio is a requirement for the program. Students complete the portfolio review as part of GRD 878Y.
- LIB 870 is considered the professional practice experience for this program.
While the passing of the certification examination is not a requirement to earn the Master of Education in School Librarian, Kentucky does require a passing score on the PRAXIS II Subject Assessments-Library Media Specialist for certification as a school media librarian. Candidates will be required to take the PRAXIS II Subject Assessments-Library Media Specialist in order to complete the program. Students outside of Kentucky are responsible for determining the requirements for certification in their states.