Master of Public Health with a Concentration in Environmental/Occupational Health & Sustainability (offered by the Department of Environmental Health Science) (M.P.H.)
Dr. Michelyn Bhandari, Interim MPH Director
The College of Health Sciences at Eastern Kentucky University offers a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree with concentrations in Health Promotion, and Environmental/Occupational Health & Sustainability. The two participating departments include the Department of Environmental Health Science, and the Department of Health Promotion and Administration. The program is tailored to meet the needs of individuals working in or planning to work in a public health profession.
The mission of the public health programs is to prepare culturally competent, skilled public health practitioners that are engaged in community-focused service and public health scholarship, for the commonwealth and beyond.
To achieve its mission, the MPH Program prepares professionals for broad-based practice in public health, grounded in foundational public health knowledge and foundational competencies with specialized knowledge, and expertise in a selected public health discipline.
Students who complete the MPH degree will be able to:
- Contribute to the public health profession through sound professional public health attitudes, values, concepts and ethical practices.
- Recognize and facilitate diversity of thought, culture, gender, and ethnicity through inclusiveness, communication and collaboration.
- Participate in professional development, scholarship, service, and interdisciplinary educational activities that contribute to public health.
- Integrate and apply knowledge and skills (competencies) within the traditional core public health areas of knowledge (behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health science, and public health administration) as well as crosscutting and emerging public health areas.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills necessary for specialized roles within public health specific to health promotion and environmental occupational health and sustainability.
Clear admission to the MPH program requires a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher – or – 3.25 in their last 60 hours of undergraduate work meet the minimum requirements for eligibility for full-admission consideration. Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate degree GPA of 2.5 or higher, but do not meet the requirements for full-admission consideration, are eligible for provisional admission consideration. Students with provisional admission based upon GPA must maintain a cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher for their first two academic terms. A TOEFL score of at least 550 for paper based, 79 for internet based, or 213 computerized, is required for international applicants. Satisfying the minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
Submit all application materials online to the Graduate School at www.gradschool.eku.edu/apply:
- Graduate School application and fee;
- Official transcripts;
- TOEFL score;
- Statement of personal and professional objectives (1 1/2 to 2 pages); and
- 3 letters of recommendation from employers and/or previous professors.
For application deadlines visit: https://gradschool.eku.edu/graduate-application-deadlines
Academic Background Expectations for MPH Concentrations
So that timely progress toward the degree can be achieved, the following undergraduate pre-requisite courses are expected to be completed prior to active participation in the program.
Environmental/Occupational Health and Sustainability: At least 1 physical science, 2 chemistry with lab, 2 biology with lab, college algebra, and 1 microbiology course at the undergraduate level.
CIP Code: 51.2201
|MPH 810||Human Behavior Change||3|
|MPH 816||Public Health Org and Admin||3|
|MPH 825||Public Health Planning||3|
|MPH 830||Biostatistics in Health Sci||3|
|MPH 840||Rsrch Mthds in Public Health||3|
|MPH 850||Intro to Envir. Health Science||3|
|MPH 855||Principles of Epidemiology||3|
|Students must select one of the following Concentrations:||21|
Health Promotion Concentration (offered by the Department of Health Promotion & Administration)
Environmental/Occupational Health & Sustainability Concentration (offered by the Department of Environmental Health Science)
|MPH 895||Public Health Capstone (MPH Capstone)||1|
|EHS 840||Total Worker Health||3|
|EHS 860||Air Quality Assessment||3|
|EHS 865||Environmental Toxicology||3|
|Choose from six hours of the following approved electives:||6|
|Radiological Health & Safety|
|Emerging and Re- Infect Diseas|
|Occ Health Exposure Assessment|
|Global Envir Crisis Management|
|Applied Practice Experience|
|EHS 839||Appl Learning in Env Hlth Sci||3|
|or EHS 863||Field Experience in Env. Hea|
|Integrative Learning Experience|
|EHS 890||Grad Project in Envrnmntl Hlth||3|